Valencia College and the Creative Village in Downtown Orlando are seeking concept designs for an outdoor public installation. The primary theme and objective is to create an interactive way to collect community input on education in the Parramore community. Funding will support the creation of a community art ‘wall’ or structure featuring the educational theme, and utilizing the phrase “I want to learn…” with open interactive space for the community to record their personal responses. The installation serves three primary purposes:
– information gathering to inform the Creative Villages’ educational partners;
– to raise community awareness about development in the Creative Village;
– to begin to establish community connectedness.
The student (or group of students) whose concept is chosen for development will be awarded $500.00
About The Creative Village:
The Creative Village is a 68-acre redevelopment project in downtown Orlando, anchored by transit, education and technology. Valencia College and the University of Central Florida are slated to jointly create a higher ed campus within the Village. In addition, the community will gain a K-8 school to anchor the community. http://creativevillageorlando.com/
The Parramore Heritage Community is a diverse area of residential neighborhoods, businesses and industry west of the Downtown Orlando core. Parramore is the historic home of Orlando’s African-American community, and is on the cusp of a new surge of growth as a diverse and vibrant Downtown area. The Parramore Business District consists of two historic retail “Main Streets” – Parramore Avenue and West Church Street. These two streets intersect in the Parramore Town Center, which covers the traditional commercial and industrial heart of Parramore along the Church Street and Central Boulevard corridors. Parramore is home of City View apartments, HD Supply, the Florida A&M University School of Law and the Federal Courthouse.
The Creative Village will transform the former Amway Arena site into a 68-acre mixed-use site. (office, creative, educational, residential, commercial & hotel space). The site for the installation/wall should not exceed 8 feet tall, by 30 feet long long, but design is not limited to “wall” like structures. Please keep in mind that the structure and materials used should be conducive to elements of weather for at least 6 months, with the end goal of being converted into a semi-permanent installation.
– Submission must be from current Valencia College students (of any discipline)
– Concept should be a low-tech solution.
– Theme “Education in the community”
– Must include the phrase “I want to learn…”
– Must include a way to record and collect responses from the public audience in a way that is somewhat weatherproof. “Give a voice” to the community the Creative Village will impact.
– Installation will have to last for up to six months. To be translated to and converted to a semi-permanent (five years) installation.
Entry Deadline: Friday March 27th
- Drop Off Location: West Campus 5-130, 12:30pm
- Drop Off Location: East Campus 1-213, 5:30pm
Installation: Summer 2105
Selection Method and Criteria:
- Entries will be judged by Artists & Industry Professionals.
- Low-tech solution that creatively engages the community.
- Theme of ‘Education’ in the community.
- Must include the phrase “I want to learn…”
- Must include a way to record and collect responses from the public audience in a way that is somewhat weatherproof.
- Give a voice to the community that the Creative Village will impact.
- Installation must last for up to 6 months, to be converted to a semi-permanent (5 years) installation
- Construction Budget for the actual installation must not exceed $5000.00
Submission Format Suggestions:
– Poster presentation of design concept Renderings: One large Overview and Two Detail Images with detailed notations on specifics of your concept.
– PDF presentation of concept drawings and include student’s name(s), a description/samples of your inspirations, concepts, final solutions, etc., (suitable size for non-computer viewing)
– Printed Presentation Booklet, professional craft quality
All submissions must include:
Student(s) name(s), VID and ATLAS email address(es)
Mailing address(es) & phone number(s) of individual(s) who contributed
Title of Work
Artist’s Statement / Description (Optional)
Click Header Image for a printable PDF of this post.